Hello players and parents!
We are excited to see all of the young athletes at the upcoming tryouts. Specific dates and times are located on the front page of our website, at downstatevolleyball.com, however, we wanted to touch base with you all to provide some general information regarding how the tryouts will go.
The Board has paid close attention to the Covid-19 pandemic and its effects on our area and specifically, our sport. As such, we feel the most appropriate action is to continue following some of the similar actions we took last season, to do our best to limit exposure. Therefore, all athletes MUST wear a mask while inside the Downstate facility. All Downstate staff will be masked for the duration of the tryouts.
Additionally, in order to decrease the potential exposure to everyone involved, no spectators will be allowed in the gym during tryouts.
When first arriving at the Downstate location, you will need to check-in with the Downstate staff member. At the DAC, this will take place under the tent outside the front entrance. Note, you don’t need to bring anything to tryouts, except a smile and a great attitude!
Athlete check-in will consist of:
– Providing staff with the athlete’s name and grade.
– Confirming the athletes program: Aspire, Regional, or National
– Pin the tryout number, provided by Downstate, on the athlete’s t-shirt.
REMINDER: All players must retain this number for the second tryout.
After check-in has been completed, the athlete will:
– Enter through the specified door at the Downstate staff member’s direction.
– Proceed into the gym.
– Line their bags neatly against the wall.
– Place all water bottles off the floor and in their bags.
If any athlete is unable to attend any tryout, they should email us at email@example.com. NOTE: It is strongly recommended athletes attend both tryout dates to ensure the most time for coaches to evaluate them. However, if the athlete is unable to make both tryouts, they should alert Downstate by email, as soon as they know they will miss a tryout. Please indicate the following in this email:
– Athlete’s name and grade.
– Program in which he/she is trying out.
– The location/tryout date in which he/she planned on attending, and
– If he/she played last season, the team in which they played.
Lastly, in order to mitigate potential risk, please stay home if you are experiencing any flu-like symptoms (or just don’t feel well!). If this is the case, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the above requested information.
We “Thank you!” for your continued cooperation and support and look forward to seeing everyone this upcoming season.